Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Exactitudes: A Contraction of Exact and Attitude





Whoa. Here I am thinking I'm different, and BAM! Someone comes out with a photo essay of "unique" people all over the world that look eerily the same! (Apparently I have to try harder)

From the Exactitudes site:
They call their series Exactitudes: a contraction of exact and attitude. By registering their subjects in an identical framework, with similar poses and a strictly observed dress code, Versluis and Uyttenbroek provide an almost scientific, anthropological record of people's attempts to distinguish themselves from others by assuming a group identity. The apparent contradiction between individuality and uniformity is, however, taken to such extremes in their arresting objective-looking photographic viewpoint and stylistic analysis that the artistic aspect clearly dominates the purely documentary element.

So next time your kid is screaming for those blue and purple leg warmers that they HAVE to get... you'll know why!

Exactitudes is the work of photographer Ari Versluis and profiler Ellie Uyttenbroek.

1 comment:

  1. I gotta go see if there's one for people like me! I'd print that shit out and hang it over my bed!

    ReplyDelete